23 April 2012

SLC to ORD

When asked how the flight was, my response was tepid. Actually, the term I used was "uneventful" which, to me, is a good thing.

I have never been a comfortable flyer. I certainly appreciate the speed with which I reach my destination but I usually start out with a prayer to make sure that I get there. Today was no exception though I enjoyed a rarely seen perk.

The seat beside me was empty and I had the kind of legroom that I normally don’t have the luxury of paying for so I was able to find a little more humor in the experience. When the captain announced that we were cleared for take-off, I wanted to jump up and say, “Wait! I’m in the wrong flight!” I was even able to muster some bravado by taking my seatbelt off to get up and grab my backpack from the overhead compartment a couple of seats ahead before the seat-belt sign was off.

This good karma has been with me for a few days now and I am hoping it holds. The universe seems to be in alignment and I am wondering if I should buy a lottery ticket. After all, I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for some fortuitous moments that have led me to this point. Through the generosity of my friend and employer, I am able to attend my convention, training for her, and get certified as a Zumba instructor this week. Through the kindness and love of my high school classmate. I have a place to stay during my trip and I get to see old friends for the first time since I left Illinois over 20 years ago. Let’s not forget the young man who asked that I exchange seats with his wife on this flight so they can be together, thus bringing me closer to the front of the cabin.

It certainly felt like a first class flight without the first class price. If only the food was free.

0 comments:

Post a Comment