24 August 2011

OMG! 25 to 30 Hours per Week?!?

I'm on my second day of attending learning coach sessions (three, to be exact) and my two children graciously sat in on the morning session with me.

Round One:


I am told that I have permission to do anything and construct a learning environment that is as flexible as it is mobile. I doubt that I can really do anything I want but I do like the whole notion that it could be anywhere. But wait...how much time do I have to commit? 25 to 30 hours per week, you say? Whatever happened to think smarter, not harder?

Here's a picture of my misguided delusion: I block out a certain number of hours in the morning for their schooling. I imagine being there to try and help but that they will be working through their lessons on their own. I'll let them have a break or two in between, feed them snacks and lunch, and offer incentives to encourage them to accomplish all or part of their workload goals. When the "school day" is done, I will be able to move on to my other commitments or my "me" time–at the very least, step outside of this box for a moment to take a deep breath and meditate.

 Round Two:

The Learning Coach-Teacher Relationship 

My son and I were at the high school to get his schedule squared away and to meet briefly with the special ed teacher so I missed the first 30 minutes of the session. Colter's virtual classes with IDVA start on September 26 and I would prefer that he gets right back on the bike and continue to learn while waiting for his enrollment process to be completed. As my son's "mentor"  in his education, I'm supposed to be his support and cheerleader, right?  I feel wholly inadequate for the role. We spend more time butting heads and accomplishing the most basic of tasks is a painfully slow experience.  So maybe it's a good thing that his start date is delayed by a month. It would give me an opportunity to ease into these rather big shoes and see how well I adapt to becoming a "learning coach" to Annika. I just hope to be prepared for Colter's arrival into this home-bound system by the time he starts his online coursework.

On the top of the list of teacher expectations for parents is communication. Not too far behind is honesty. That means I have to sharpen my communication skills. I am neither good in seeking out help nor do I play well as a good listener. Well, that has to change, surely? I created a new group titled
K12 in my computer address book and have started to compile contact information on any K12 or IDVA individuals that I have spoken to. They're bound to come in handy one day. I may have to consider a huge sign that says COMMUNICATE–not so much for my kids but as a reminder to me. I'd like to think that I have developed a good parent-teacher relationship over the years of monitoring my son's IEP with his teachers but upon reflection, I know that I could have been better–and that, I have to be honest about.

Round Three:


The 15-Minute High School Mentor


My husband and I went out for drinks with some relatives. It was happy hour at the
Garage and I had hoped to be back by the time this session started. I have these silly unrealistic expectations. Well into DH's third beer and my steadily refilled non-alcoholic iced tea, 8pm came and went. My high school student is not starting until September 26th so I'm going to give myself some slack and attend another session later. It was great to be able to step outside of the house for the evening and relax in the company of good friends sans the children. This is my calm before the storm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment