22 August 2011

I am Committed...Sorta

This morning, I attended my first Learning Coach session:


Anni even sat in for part of the session. 

Colter has chosen to sleep. 

Okay, so I made out with a 50% success rate but we move on and I did learn something.

1. I have ADD too. Granted, this is not news to me but the whole notion of sitting through an hour staring at a monitor made me realize (again) how much my son and I are alike. So I did what any self-respecting ADD person did: I turned the speakers as loud as it could go, I made coffee, walked around, and wiped down the sliding glass doors.

2. The traditional rigid "walls" of a brick and mortar school is more flexible with an online program. That was exciting to me and I'm sure that Anni found that appealing too as she walked around the house listening while she went about brushing her hair.

3. On the flipside, I need to be even more involved as a parent (and learning coach slash teacher) with their education. That terrified me.

4. I could use that very large sliding door I just diligently cleaned as a white board.

5. I didn't run screaming in the other direction.

Surely, line 5 has to count for something.

We ended the session, Anni made her scrambled egg breakfast, I made my oatmeal and resumed my research on the program.

I called K12 and spoke to John about Colter's enrollment status. With any luck, Lance Hopper, my PAL, will call me by today. School starts in two days here in town. I don't have to worry about Anni because she was approved over the weekend and will start on the 29th of August.  But Colter, who has an IEP, has yet to be "approved" and a pending status for approval can also mean a possible rejection.

I am leaving that to the higher powers. But I may have to send him off to school in the meantime. 

Thank God!



0 comments:

Post a Comment