25 August 2011

My Kids Want to be Part of this Online School

Well...okay...maybe.

More accurately, the one I hoped would agree, won't; the one I least expected to show interest, did. So with just a few days left to put together a workspace for both of my "students" that would be organized and creative, I did what every broke and frantic mother does: I went to the thrift store.

I am still trying to reconcile myself to the reality that I have allowed the 9th grader the option to try this program. He's on the fence about it and I am trying not to lead him in his decision. And why should I, after all? An unhappy kid makes for an unhappy mom!

Still, today's Learning Coach subject gave me comfort and even a little insight. One one hand, my sixth grade girl should transition into this program with ease (I keep saying that so I hope I'm right). She should be able to slide right into a virtual classroom with some good space preparation that helps with organization and comfortable seating. With a little over 30 days to prepare for the boy's arrival, I would hope that I'll have familiarized myself with my new role by using Annika as the proverbial guinea pig in our new classroom: Welcome to the re-invented Tolman home.

In the scientific method approach, she really makes an excellent test subject–the perfect control! I could evaluate her adaptability to her surroundings, monitor her progress, record my observations, and apply my findings on Colter.

"Seriously?" I found myself asking out loud.

"Why not?" Yeah, I even answer myself.

"Because you suck at process." Yep, I got me there.

So, there I was, staring at the living room and wondering what the heck I was going to do. I'm not a genie so snapping my fingers won't yield anything. It certainly never got me anywhere in the past either. I envied some of those examples we saw during the session–pictures of lovely, dedicated spaces that surely encouraged thinking and creativity. There were other types of spaces too but the girl sitting in front of a small folding TV tray did not look comfortable and we sold our trampoline years ago.


I checked online for other ideas and found a dizzying array of suggestions. I skipped the ones from those cutesy blogs. I don't do frou-frou. It's not my style and my kids would revolt. 

At the end of the day, I went to bed with a simple idea. That six-foot folding table in the garage would have to be a good start.

If I build it, they will come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment