27 October 2010

The McRib is Back!

Now, McDonald's is not exactly my favorite go-to fast food joint. As much as I loved it in my youth, my stomach has developed a severe reaction to it over the years. I learned to stay pretty well clear of the place–or at least, the hamburgers on the menu.

Unless it's November.

In another week, I will have another opportunity to make a pilgrimage to the red-roofed house below the golden arches for their limited-run offering called the McRib and I'm just glad there isn't a McDonald's in our small town. During it's brief six week stint, this 500 calorie pork sandwich concoction returns to warm the belly and ward off the cold.


Admittedly, this is not a real barbecue rib sandwich. I think that would be an insult to the barbecue world. Call a spade a spade. It is a processed pork patty with a sweet barbecue sauce. But combined with a simple topping of pickles and onions, it's unpretentious comfort food that helps me become a kinder, gentler being on these dreary, mood-altering, winter days at over 6000 feet above sea-level.

I don't mind saying that I'm happy to see the McRib's return this season. I will probably find myself there once or twice during this short window that the sandwich is being offered. I'll pair it with a side of fries that makes opening the bag an almost spiritual act as the warmth of the food rises to sooth my hand and the sweet smell of the sauce mixes in with the salt-infused aroma of their fries.

I'll savor the taste while it's here and store the memory in my head until it comes back next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment