04 October 2010

I Hate Paris!

I always considered myself well-rounded, cultured and sophisticated. But yesterday, I found myself wondering if I have been cooped up in a small town for too long. Again.

I hate feeling like a country bumkin' or maybe it's the idea of being perceived as such that bothers me. After all, I'm an educated articulate, and intelligent woman! But twice in as many years, I showed, to my great chagrin, what may appear as backwoods ignorance.

My first "Duh!" moment occurred when I called a client and was told by his partner that he was in Paris. Now, I absolutely KNOW where Paris is but at that moment, I felt a sudden disconnect as I attempted to create an association. He's a realtor. He may be looking at property or handling some type of business in...Paris...as in...Idaho. Hey, it was possible.

Yesterday, I found myself in the same sorry circumstance. A client, who owns a local title company, had to leave our meeting briefly. Upon her return she explained that she had to meet the Fedex driver who had arrived with a packet that she had not expected to be delivered that day because–as she pointed out–it was still in Paris as of the day before. I can only attribute this particular "Duh!" moment to my poor misguided logic. For a packet to have arrived so quickly from Paris (just four hours away) to here could surely ONLY mean that Paris...in Idaho. Right?


Paris, Idaho is situated in a high mountain valley on the Utah/Idaho border, along the scenic corridor of US. Highway 89, and the gateway  into the Bear Lake Valley–a popular destination boasting a large scenic lake dubbed the "Caribbean of the Rockies" for its intense turquoise-blue color, the result of suspended limestone deposits in the water. While small and modest in comparison to our Jackson Hole neighbor, it has steadily found favor among many in the region as an ideal retreat during the summer months as evidenced by the growing number of resorts and second-home owners that have invested in the area.

Paris, France on the other hand is more refined, cosmopolitan, and uber-conscious of its status. It is considered one of the most influential cities in the world. It's history and pedigree outshines it's Idaho counterpart's more humble Mormon pioneer origins. This bustling city of over 2 million residents was once part of the powerful Roman Empire while Paris, Idaho was briefly attached to the shrinking provisional State of Deseret during the mid-1800's.  Paris, Idaho may have the historic Paris Tabernacle but Paris, France has the more iconic Louvre.

So you can imagine my feeling of inadequacy when the retort I received, on both occasions, was "No, as in France, the country!" I told myself it was an honest mistake but hopefully one I won't repeat a third time. Still, I hate the disambiguation. And, yeah, I hate Paris.

Yes, as in France, the country.

0 comments:

Post a Comment